Monday, June 2, 2008

Ahhhh, the first day of summer!

I've deemed today the first "official" day of summer for the boys and me. We slept in (well, until 7:45 when Tiffany called on her way to teach summer school), we watched morning cartoons, I straightened up the house, then took a shower. It was nice and relaxing. It's weird, though, knowing that I have absolutely nothing else to do...no papers to grade, no emails to respond to, no lessons to plan, nothing at all. Sweet!

Braden had his first swim lesson this morning with Rachel, the sister of one of my students. She and a friend teach private lessons in the summer in the friend's pool at her house in the historic Southgate part of College Station. I figured Braden would do better for Rachel if I wasn't there, so I packed the jogging stroller in the car and Garrett and I took a 30 minute walk while Braden swam. We got back in time to see Rachel trying to get Braden to put his face in the water--it didn't work, not even after I tried to bribe him with a snow-cone. Maybe tomorrow. She said he swam the length of the pool with her hand under his belly barely supporting him.

After swim lessons, we went to HEB. Funny, all of the "race-car" carts were gone. Turns out that Monday morning is when all of the stay-at-home moms and home-for-the-summer moms go shopping. There were kids everywhere! They also had lots of samples out--more than they have in the evenings and on the weekends when I usually shop. We munched our way through the store.

The boys are eating grapes right now--Garrett keeps calling them "stwawbewies" and making Braden mad. I think he's doing on purpose just to get a reaction out of his brother. He's kinda clever like that. In just a minute I'm going to put Garrett down for a nap, put Braden in his room for "quiet time" and begin my quest to catch up on my scrapbooking.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Must be nice, girl! Enjoy that time--Chris and I are like ships passing in the night. I get home at 5:30 and then he leaves for night classes at 5:45. RIDICULOUS!! At least it's just 3 nights a week--wait 3 NIGHTS A WEEK!! That's ridiculous. Oh...I already said that. oh well....