Sunday, June 22, 2008

Father's Day 1 week later

My friend Stormy is an amazing writer. Her blog (http://stormyhickman.blogspot.com/) is full of wonderfully written, honest, witty reflections about her life. Recently, she included two Father's Day posts--one about her grandfather and one about her dad. I got a little teary while reading them, especially the one about her grandfather, and I've thought about her posts for a few days. Now, I'm inspired to write my own Father's day themed post, even though it is a week late. Great writing should cause reflection and inspiration...so Stormy, thanks for being a great writer!

I'm lucky enough to have two fathers:my dad and Tom, who married my mom 17 years ago. Dad and Tom are wonderfully different, and I love them both very much. I rarely write my thoughts in cards or notes to them. Heck, I'm happy if I can just get a signed card in the mail within a few days of the event. So here, for all the world to see, are the things I'm thankful for from each of my fathers.

To my Dad,
Thanks for letting my try a variety of sports when I was little, and I'm sorry I wasn't very dedicated or good at any of them. Thanks for introducing me to running when I was little, something I still enjoy doing. In fact, I ran 4 miles around the perimeter of campus this morning! I know that my running stride and my legs look much like yours, and I often think of you when I am running.

Thanks for taking me camping and hiking. I especially remember the trip with Linsey to the mountains in New Mexico and the three trips to Big Bend. Hiking the South Rim with you is a wonderful memory. Someday we'll do it with my kiddos, too.

Thanks for teaching me that all people deserve our love and respect and that is isn't right to call any group of people ugly names, even if they can't hear us. Thanks for exposing me to the civil rights struggles that various people have had in our country and for encouraging me to learn about people who are different from me.

Thanks for encouraging me to love literature and not being afraid to share all kinds of books with me. As I learned this year, there are parents who censor what their child reads, and thanks SO MUCH for not doing that!

Thanks for taking me to church and introducing me to God.

Thanks for finding happiness in your own life. I love that you have a job you are passionate about, live in a place that inspires you, and have a wife who completes you.

To Tom,
Thanks for marrying my mom! You two have such a great relationship and serve as a great model for me, Linsey, and Kristen.

Thanks for teaching me to drive and for buying my first truck. My mom never would have let me drive before I had my permit, and I appreciate you for trusting me enough to teach me. I loved that little truck, and I am so thankful to you for buying it for me.

Thanks for having boats. I probably haven't shown enough interest in the boats, but please know that I love the boats, and more importantly, I love the times we spend together as a family on them. I love being on the water (but not in it!), and I love the unique places we've been able to go because of the boats. How many people can say that they've spend the night anchored off of some little Cay in the Bahamas?

Thanks for being patient and never, ever yelling. You are the calmest person I know. I was amazed when I met boys who played football for you who told me stories to the contrary.

Thanks for teaching me to be conservative with my money.

Thanks for introducing me as your daughter. That speaks volumes about your love for me.

To Kyle,
While I'm thinking about fathers, I should include you, too!

Thanks for being my babies' daddy!

Thanks for changing diapers. Some men don't. Good men do.

Thanks for commuting 100 miles a day so that our family can live in College Station. You have NO IDEA how much I appreciate that sacrifice for our family.

Thanks for being so darn handy around the house...and yard...and cars. I'm pretty sure that you can make or fix anything! I love working on projects with you, and I love that Braden is old enough to "help" sometimes...and that you are patient enough to let him help.

Thanks for taking out the trash every week. I could do it, but it is really nice not to have to, especially the stinky diaper trash in the garage.

Thanks for buying me a kayak.

Oh wait! You haven't done that...yet!

1 comment:

Stormy Hickman said...

This is so sweet! Thanks for sharing!