Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kindergarten Rodeo

Yesterday was Garrett's long awaited Kindergarten rodeo, an annual tradition on the Friday before Spring Break at his elementary school.  Garrett remembered Braden's excitement about the day, and he was pumped up and ready to cowboy it up!  

Here's my blog post about Braden on the same day. You might notice the shirts the boys are wearing are remarkably similar! The boots are different, however. Garrett is much bigger than Braden at this age, and Braden's kindergarten boots are a 10.5 and too small for G.  So, like his big brother, he got new boots the night before his kindergarten rodeo. He wanted a new shirt, too, but he wanted short-sleeves and they didn't have any in his size. 

I tried to get a cute picture of him in the morning: 


And in typical Garrett fashion, he had trouble complying. 
 
 

I finally caught him between silly poses: 



This picture just makes my heart melt into a big puddle. How stinkin' handsome are these two?  They are everything I ever dreamed of. 


And off to school we went.  The program was before lunch, and one of my coworkers very generously offered to cover my classes so I could attend. Here's Garrett coming into the gym in the hat he decorated himself, chaps, and spurs. 

He's in a dual language program, so many of his classmates are Hispanic. Looking at his class is truly looking at the past, present, and future of Texas.  

He acted a fool anytime I tried to take a picture of him by taking his hat off, holding it in front of his face, and just generally acting like a nut. When it was his class's turn to sing, he closed his eyes throughout the entire song so that I could not get a good picture of him. Argh!!


And then it was square dancing time. His partner was Phoebe, the cutest, sweetest little girl ever.  I've known her for a couple of years because she was in the Head Start class that was Tiger Buddies with my child development class last year. Plus, she attends Kids Klub and gives me a hug every time I see her. Her older sister, Chloe, is Braden's age, and she let me pull her tooth about a month ago.  I LOVE these girls. 
"Square your set"
"Swing your partner"
"Swing your partner around the town."

"ooooooohhh"
"Promenade!"
A cute picture of the dancers. I think it would be awesome if they were prom dates in the future and I could totally break out this picture. 

After the dancing, it was time for the rodeo. I think Garrett was a little disappointed that there wasn't actual bull riding. He'd had a dream the night before about riding a bull, and with his big imagination, there is no telling what he expected. The rodeo-themed games were great, but I don't think they were quite what he had in mind.  

Here he is with Jacob and Joshua, twins who are his little buddies. He says Jacob is on the right in this picture. They live across the street from the school, and Garrett thinks this is SOOOO cool.  
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: