Braden refuses to read to me. He simply says, "I don't read in front of people," in the same way others say, "I don't eat meat" or "I don't watch reality TV." It's almost like it is this moral choice he has made...or that if he reads to me, I will suck out his soul, his independence, and he'll be left, floundering and dependent on mommy forever.
This reading refusal is really annoying, especially because I know he CAN read. I know this because he reads stuff all the time and asks questions or informs me of important information: "Mommy, why is the elevator that way?" "Mommy, puppies are on sale at the mall." etc. etc.
Yesterday, he came home with flashcards of 100 words that he is supposed to know by the end of 1st grade. He's needs to conquer 50 of them by the end of the 3rd six weeks. I showed them to him and explained the deal. His response? "That's easy." And he began rattling off the words.
As my jaw dropped lower and lower, he continued reading the words. He was tripped up about five times: there, their, and a few others.
I guess my mom-homework is done for the year. Unless he is supposed to also spell the words, in which case we might be in trouble. I wonder if he'll spell in front of people?
No comments:
Post a Comment