Thursday, June 11, 2009

DC Adventures, Day 3

Today wasn't nearly as adventurous as the previous three days. No new forms of transportation. BUT, we did go to the Air and Space Museum (the big one at Dulles Airport:http://www.nasm.si.edu/UdvarHazy/ ). To quote Braden, it was "awesome!" Watching the little boys walk into the hanger and see all the airplanes in the air and on the ground was just really cool. The big boys reacted almost the same way. In fact, Linsey and I kept having to call Kyle and Matt to find out where they were...looking at the engines, in the middle of the hanger, taking a last minute trip through the space wing.

Speaking of the space wing, when Garrett saw the Space Shuttle he said, "Wow! A party airplane!" I wonder sometimes what goes on in that little head of his. He had a great time "taking pictures." He held up his little hand in front of one of his eyes and made a little "pakow" noise and blew his hand up as he took his picture.

Braden rode a simulator with Linsey and Matt, which he declared as "awesome" (we might need to work on expanding his vocabulary).

Some of my favorite things included the only WWII Japanese Kamikaze plane known in to be in existence. How on earth do regimes convince people to commit suicide in the name of their ideals?

I just asked Braden what was his favorite thing today, and he said, "uhhhhhh airplanes."

"Which one?" I asked.

"Uhhhhhhh. The Blackbird." That would be the fastest airplane ever recorded, the Lockhard SR-71A. It was cool.

Kyle, the boys, and I used the Garmin to find a park on our way home to let the boys run off some steam. Kyle was the victor of the jumping off the swing contest, although I came in a close second.

Braden wants me to write, "Garrett was having fun at the Space Museum."

"He was?" Linsey asked. "I thought he was fussy."

"No," said Braden. "When we walked into the Space Museum, and somebody told me to look down, somebody told me that there was a big Blackbird that was the fastest ship ever. I don't know who told me that."

"Braden, tell me about the observation deck--where we took the elevator up," I said.

"I could see cars and trucks. And I saw airplanes landing and taking off. It was cool. I could see people and, what are we talking about?"

"The control tower observation deck thing," I said.

"But Mommy. Just erase everything. Quit. Don't do that mommy...quit it mommy...quuuiiiiiittttt."

And thus ends our session on Washington DC day 3 and blogging with a five year old.

No comments: