Monday, March 16, 2009

Seabrook Lucky Trails Half-Marathon

I want to think of something profound to write about my experience of running the Seabrook half-marathon yesterday, but I just can't quite find the words. You see, the route ran right past my mom's house and ran on the Seabrook trails--trails my mom frequently walked on. The trail ran past the library that my mom loved and continued down to the bay that my mom loved.

My good friends April and Ryan (who are both awesome!) ran with me. We all spent the night at the house then walked to the starting line (how cool is that?).


It was an overcast cool day, perfect for running. As we ran past the house, Linsey, Matt Stutts, Tom, Braden, Garrett, and Ras (Ryan's son) were out front cheering. We stopped for hugs and to drop off our cameras and long-sleeved shirts. Just as we began running again, I heard a little voice yell, "Go Mommy!"

When we approached the bay the first time, I had a hard time fighting back tears. Linsey has shared with me that she feels closest to mom when she is at the bay, and I sure felt it that day, too. I felt mom's pride and her love, and that gave me strength.

Two hours and fifteen or so minutes after we started, we made our final approach to Meador park. Our cheering crew was waiting for us by the library. Braden broke into a huge grin and began to run with us. He ran, holding my hand, all the way to the finish and crossed the finish line with us.

We received our medals, our cheering crew gave us St. Patrick's day themed leis, and we paused for lots of pictures and hugs.Me and Tom. Greatest step-dad EVER!!!My sweet hubby!
My biggest fans: Braden, Cali, and Garrett.

No comments: